Saturday, March 20

It's A Love Story

Finally the day I bet my brother waited for tossing and turning in his bed all week. I woke up early today and for the first time I didn't complain, because it wasn't about me, I was doing it for my brother, and that was my commitment to make his day special. I got up and took the longest cold shower ever. When I went to my room I took a long gaze at the golden dress hanging on my closet door. I was going to wear a dress. I almost couldn't believe my eyes. I mean, I got nothing against dresses, they are nice and all but I just don't really like wearing them. The girls all arived at my house so I could help them with their hairdo's and stuff, since after my mother died I became the gang's personal styler. I asked Katie the night before how she wanted us to look and she gave a planned physical apperance planner. I took about two hours to get through all the girls. Carson and Blair kept complaning about putting make-up in their face but I told them that if they opened their mouth once more I beat the shit out of them. I wasn't feeling too good. My head was threatening with exploding at any given moment and the talking wasn't doing any good. But I got through with it. Finally I was able to get myself ready and tell the girls to wait for me at the church. Katie was up and I told her to change, that I would do her make-up and stuff at the bride's room. Darrel helped me get Soda to his place and we tried to avoid having them see each other since Jamie told me it was bad luck that the bride and groom saw each other but until the wedding officially started. I got Katie to Westbrook Avenue and I started doing her hair and make-up. Another hour went by as I got her even more pretty than usual very slowly. I left her with her other bridesmaids and ran over to the groom's room. Darry, Pony, Steve, and Soda where there. Darry was adjusting Soda's tux and I asked Pony where the rest of the groomsmen where. You know, Johnny, Two-Bit, and Dally. Pony told me they were looking for someone to help them fix their ties and stuff. I rolled my eyes and ran to get them, again. They were wandering around and I told them to be in the groom's room and wait there. Two-Bit smiled at me when I was fixing his apperance and told him to help me up here. Again, I rushed over to the room. Soda was standing there, looking handsomer than ever. He had a huge smile on his face and looked very proud of what he was about to do. I told the guys to give me a minute alone with him and of course they complained because I was contradicting myself but I didn't care. "So, how you feeling?" I asked my brother. Soda took a deep breath. "Kind of nervous but in a good way." He said. I smiled. "You know, mom and dad would be proud." I said. "Yeah, I bet they would be." I took a step towards him and fixed his bowtie. "You know I'm proud of you too." I said looking at him. He chuckled. What did he expect? I'm a corny human being. "You are?" "But of course. Just for the plain simple fact of you being you." I said. "I love you sis." "I love you too." And then we hugged each other and I got used to the idea that there was another important girl in my brother's life. Go him.

After that I ran all over the church making sure things were going smoothly. I'm a control freak. What can I say? I just wanted all to be the nearest to perfect. That was until Darrel told me to calm down and got me my aspirin. Yay. The wedding then started, and I stood with the other bridesmaids at Katie's side. When the wedding ceremony was over, we started to party. After a few dances and one special one with my brother, it was time to tell my speech. Which, so that you guys know, I worked very hard on the whole week because of my lack of inspiration. What is it with things missing when they are essential? I got up into the podium and asked for everyone's attention.

"Everyone, I'm going to take some minutes of your unconditional attention because I want to adress a few words to those present."

I took a long breath trying to remember what I had come up with those past few nights.

"For those who don't know me, I'm KitKat Curtis, Sodapop's younger and wiser sister."

I said, chuckling at the fact that everyone did know who I was, but hey, you never know. I took a deep breath and stood there. Suddenly everything I had come up with fade away from my mind. I couldn't remember anything that I had written down and memorized. I looked at everyone. They were all staring at me, waiting for words to come out of my mouth. I have never felt nervous talking in public, but I didn't know what to do. Why did it have to happen to me? At the most important time, why me? So I decided, to just talk. Share what my heart felt.

"Sodapop is a person that does after what he wants. We all know him. And we know Katie here was no exception.

The past few months, maybe even the past year, it wasn't easy for us. For any of us. We sticked together, just like family does, and even though there were times when we wanted to strangle each other, we hold on.

I was a witness for my brother's broken heart. Those moments when out of now where, he would burst into tears. I'll tell you what my first thought was: 'I'm going to strangle the next girl that dares break his heart.' It was no surprise then that when Sodapop met Katie at that party that Steve literally dragged him to -because who goes to a party at 3 in the morning?, only Steve- and came home to tell us about it, I had the same feeling or attitude towards Katie as any other girl that had gotten romantically involved with him. But, I gave her some credit since she didn't laugh at any of our totally unique names, so that was the first step for liking her. Go her."

I stopped for a moment. I had a huge smile on my face and my voice was happy and high. I gave the emotion for each part as I intended to and looked at the young couple before me. I put a small rebel brown hair behind my shoulder and continued.

"Katie taught me something, and she realized it before I did. After my paretns died, life was tough. No doubt about that. They had left an unfilled hole in my chest. I saw couples fighting all the time. Guys beating up girls, girls cheating on guys. It was horrible. I had lost hope in this powerful little word called 'love'. What was love anyway? Love didn't exist. Love was an illusion. I needed so desperately to know that two people could stay in love with each other, forever. When these two started dating, it took me a while to learn that love did exist. Call me cheesy or corny or whatever it is you want to call me, but it was there, and it was amazingly strong. When I turned sixteen years-old, Katie threw me a party, that I would spare the details of because we all remember it."

I made a pause, looked at Katie and smiled. I made more emphazis on my words. I wanted to leave the message clear.

"That day, that November 21st day, I went over to her and asked her if we could talk. She said -what else?- of course. I asked her: 'How do you do it? How can you love a person for so long? How do you know they are the right person?' Katie looked at me, smiled, took a long deep breath, and with her usual sweet voice said: 'Find someone who loves you for you. That is the person worth to stay with.' It was that moment, that I realized she had taught me probably the most important lesson in my whole life. In that moment, she became more than just a friend to me; she became, unknowingly, my older sister."

I smiled at myself. I could see the joy and smile on Katie's face. My gaze turned for a moment to the people around me. Those crazy fellows I call best friends. They were paying close attention to my words and I could swear for a moment, Darry looked like he was about to cry. Tough enough. I took another deep breath, and my voice was high and emphatic again.

"Now, I'm going to tell you the most important thing that I learned from my brother, and best friend, Sodapop Curtis. Forgiveness."

I said the word with a sweet calm voice. There was another pause. I turned to look at Soda. The look on his face was priceless. He looked so proud of what he had just done, it took my breath away. Then, my voice turned high and emphatic again and I talked to Soda more than to anyone else in particular.

"Despite whatever life throws ag him, he welcomes it with a huge smile on his face and open arms. How does he do it? I didn't know. Maybe I still don't know, because it ain't something you will find in a book, or doesn't have a whole logical explanation attached to it. It's a feeling and feelings are complicated. He taught me that things will eventually get better. It may be stormy right now but it just can't rain forever. He taught me to smile at life even if it didn't smile back. because every sixty seconds we spend angry or upset, it's a minute of happiness we'll never get back."

I stopped for a moment. It amazed me the things that my heart had to say. It was better than the speech I had written using my head. Things turn out better when we close our heads and let our hearts do their job.

"Looking at them, I feel envious of the gift they share, and I hope that one day I'll be lucky enough to find someone that will share the same gift with me."

I turned to look at Two-Bit, who had a huge smile on his face. He was smiling at me. I winked at him and his smile grew bigger. I felt my heart race and slow down at the same time. For a moment, things became simple.

I raised my glass of wine, directing it towards Katie and Soda. The room was silent. I had the last word.

"Katie, welcome to the family."

I said with a sweet, high, and loving voice. The room turned into a burst of applause. I walked down the podrium and walked over to Katie and Soda. I gave each of them a hug and let them enjoy their night. Two-Bit stood there, looking tough in his leather jacket and suit. "Nice speech." He said. I smiled and I could feel the blush taking over my cheeks. "Thanks." I said. The music started all over again. He looked down for a moment. Then, back at me. "Can I have this dance?" He asked, extending his hand for me to take it. "I would love to."

14 comments:

Angelica Winston said...

FIRST COMMENT! That was a fantastic speech Kit. I can't believe you didnt come up with it before, it was just that good. :)

Unknown said...

1st Is The Worst 2nd Is The Best Jelly! Haha! Kitty Ur Speech Was Amazing. I Think By The End Of Your Speech Everyone Was Crying. Haha!

Carson Randle said...

I really didn't want to read that. So I didn't :D

Sodapop Curtis said...

damn kit, i bawled like a baby during that speech. I love u sis ;)

Brookie Cade said...

omg kit that was the sweetest speech ive evr heard!!!!!!!!

Jamie said...

Its true he did bawl like a baby but nevertheless i thought it was incredibly sweet...........and amusing

Johnny Cade said...

Wow kit.....that was deep......Srry pony! Kits speech tottaly beat yours!!!

Dally Winston said...

thats a long post lol

Jenna said...

Kit
you. are. the. sweetest. person. i. know.
and i forgive you for putting gunk on my face

Kitty Curtis said...

Aw thanks Blair.
But, when did I put gunk on your face?

Jenna said...

makeup = gunk

Kitty Curtis said...

Right. Sorry. Nonepreggo moment!

Brenan said...

here Kit, I commented...happy?

Two-Bit said...

I loved your speech :]